Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Homemade Root Beer from Scratch: Follow-up Numero Uno


So, this morning I decided to crack open another bottle of my homemade Root Beer-my first batch from scratch... and the above picture was my result. A nice, thick foam over-running the top of the bottle. It streamed out for about a minute or so(long enough for me to get my camera and take a picture...), and left plenty in the bottle to sample.
Obviously the carbonation was good, but how was everything else?
The brew came out with a nice orangish amber color(much like a dark beer), and smelled pretty tasty. Both things were different-the color was far better, and the aroma was much less licorice rooty.
So I took a swig-not too bad at all. My eldest daughter's initial reaction was favorable, but then she slowly decided she didn't like it anymore. I suspect this was the warm yeastiness more than anything else, so I unloaded the rest from their box and put them into the fridge.
I planned on not touching them for a couple of days, but I told my neighbor that my root beer had carbonated and was cooling in the fridge. After assisting him with building a shared fence, he asked if he could have one of my root beers. I was a little reluctant, but decided to let him try it out.
After his first sip, he said it was pretty decent-then he drove off with the rest. A few hours later he came back and assured me that it was "really good, but you're right, it'll be perfect in about 3 days".
It was a nice to hear that someone outside of my household enjoyed one of my homemade sodas-especially one that wasn't even done "curing" yet.
I'll be back in a few days to let you know how it tastes after some proper aging...
Click here for part 2 of the follow-up.
Click here for the recipe and process of making this Root Beer from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment